Friday, September 2, 2011

Whew!

Mmkay. So this may be one of my last posts. Wanna know why? Well, I'll tell you. I don't have osteoporosis. I know, right? Crazy, huh? Yep.

#1's DXA machine is just pure shit apparently. I don't want to say his technicians are idiots too, soooo. The machine sucks.

Wednesday I went to see the 'spert at UAMS. Remember how I said he'd only accept his own scans? It's for this very reason.

So while I was having the scan done, I asked Felicia, the technician, how often they actually have people come in with incorrect scans. She said, "It so very rarely happens... but it looks like you may be an exception."

While she showed me the fan-freaking-tabulous results, I started crying, prompting a huge hug from Felicia. She was so shocked at the results, she marched me out to her supervisor, who looked at my previous scans and the current one. She gave me and hug and I cried all over her too. Then she took me up to see the doc and I cried all over him too. It was a tearful morning to say the least. The 'spert then paraded me around the floor saying, "Wanna see what a healthy girl looks like?"

I really was impressed with the 'spert, despite my initial thoughts about him and the placement of his head (in his own ass). He took his time when talking to me, everyone in the department knew about my case, he asked well researched questions, was prepared (and even said he'd been reviewing my file for two weeks trying to figure out what I could possible have), and had an awesome bedside manor. While it took a crazy long time to actually get an appointment with him, that diagnosis (or the lack of one) was absolutely worth the wait.

He said I do have a touch of osteopenia in my lower spine and probably some in my fingers and toes as well. My hips, cervical spine, and wrists look just fine.

As much as I want to go blow up #1's machine, I won't. However, the 'spert is writing a VERY strongly worded letter to #1 letting him know he, his technicians, and his machine were completely inaccurate...twice, and a letter to #2 praising him for sending me over to UAMS for a "real" (non)diagnosis.

So. My bones aren't 87. They're 30. Just like the rest of me.